Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Kinship Interview: My mother's perspective of Guatemala

1) The person I chose for my kinship interview was my mother. She was born in Sinaca, Guatemala located in Central America in the year 1965. She had four siblings which consisted of two older sisters, one younger sister, and one younger brother and was raised by her mother and father. My mother comes from a culture that practices some Catholic beliefs, but also some supernatural such as witchcraft. The belief that curses are put upon by witches are still alive and well in Guatemala. It is considered necessary for the women to learn some type of white magic remedies to protect their family from witchcraft. It is however, taboo to practice black magic and should not be sought out because black magic attracts demons. Not far from Sinaca is what is known as "La Antigua" (Antique Guatemala) where temples from ancient Mayan civilizations are located. She then migrated to the United States in search of better opportunities for herself and her family. She has since gained legal residency and visits her home country whenever she is able to on holidays.





2) While the interview was taking place there was no sense of awkwardness or discomfort with any of the questions it was actually the complete opposite. With every question she opened up more and more of what she remembered about growing up in Guatemala and the people she found support in. I myself was also comfortable during the interview because I speak to my mother regularly about a variety of different subjects. If I would have been interviewing a complete stranger I would not have received all the information I did. The reason why I believe it would have been more difficult interviewing a stranger is because there would not be a strong mutual level of trust. The information on witchcraft is a taboo to even mention in Guatemala unless it is to a direct family member. I personally had no idea that belief is still in my family. With a stranger I would have to be careful not to ask too many personal questions or the interviewee might distance themselves from the conversation.

3) The pattern I noticed in my family is lineage. My mother mentioned how she is a descendant from a Guatemalan Indian woman who decided to leave her tribe to marry her love. She does not remember her name however, but that it was the starting point to how her family came to be many generations later. The story of this woman was passed down from generation to generation but somewhere along the way the name was forgotten entirely. The little information that was passed down to me was what I have just mentioned. One tradition that has been in the family is to respect elders. Elders in the family are considered of the highest rank within the family. The younger generations must respect them and take their advice into consideration when making decisions. There are very few ethnic differences in her family. The only thing that makes communication difficult is the location in Guatemala where they reside. In certain areas in Guatemala, there are no computers or even telephones. This is slowly changing however, and now most of her close relatives are starting to communicate with family using social media such as Facebook.



4) I have met most of my mother's and father's families but do not really know my father's family well. My mother's brother moved to the United States many years ago and had children that are close to my age. But for personal reasons that I would rather not share, I do not know my cousins or father's family at a personal level. When I do socialize with family, they are usually from my mother's side. In my family, my mother has the most influence on decisions for the family. She has this power because of everything she has done for her family. She works to provide food and a roof under her family's heads, she is considered the head of the household. Family members who are married into the family are treated like family. However, they are quickly disowned by the family if they disrespect my mother. There are no difference in attitude toward different genders in my family. Everyone is expected to do something that benefits the family in one way or another. I have learned really interesting things about my family through this exercise. I did not know that the older generations of my family still believe in witchcraft. I also was unaware of the ancient Mayan temples that are relatively close to where my mother's family lives. I have also come to the realization that my family holds loyalty as one of the most important aspects a person can have.

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful introduction to your mother.

    Good description on your second section. One comment on this:

    "With a stranger I would have to be careful not to ask too many personal questions or the interviewee might distance themselves from the conversation."

    Sometimes people assume that you won't be able to ask personal questions of a stranger, but you may not have a choice as an anthropologist, depending upon your research topic. You might also be surprised. Depending upon how you interact with your interviewee, they tend to open up quite a bit and reveal an amazing amount of personal information. You, of course, must promise to respect their identify, and after that, sometimes subjects will take advantage of the opportunity to open up. On one of my research projects, I was interviewing women on their husband's extra-marital relationships (called "querida" relationships in the Philippines). You might think that was a hard topic to discuss, but more often than you might think, women were very forthcoming.

    Great description in your third section.

    Good observations in your fourth section. The only pattern I would have liked to have seen you make is that your family seems to emphasize the matriline instead of patriline. Do you see that in your description? The importance of your mother and her position of power, along with the importance of women in healing through their knowledge of magic indicates quite a lot of power in the women of your family, or at least as represented by your mother. Do you see this power relationship continued in subsequent generations?

    Other than this last point, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Randy, I was very intrigued by the description of your mother's family history, as well as beliefs, and way of life.
    I find it really cool that she knows so much of her family history that she was able to trace it all the way back to how your family line started and that the history of her family and their beliefs seem to be an essential part of what is of importance to your family.
    I agree with Professor Roriguez, it seems like the maternal line has more of the power in your family and are held to a certain respect just like your elders. Anyway, thanks for sharing!
    Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Randy, your images were a nice touch to your post and I also love the bit of information about witchcraft. I personally have found it to be fascinating, but between work and school not too much time to indulge myself in non-school related research. Over all amazing post, look forward to reading more of your posts in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Randy,
    Really great post and description of your mother and your interview with her. I also like the pictures you posted, they gave a nice touch and helped to spread the wording a little bit. I found it interesting that you said your culture still practices witchcraft and did not know that it was necessary for women to learn white magic. I also have to agree with Professor Rodriguez that your culture might come from a matriline descent. The women are considered to be more powerful, so maybe the last names of family members are after the women. Anyways really great blog, I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Randy,
    Really great post and description of your mother and your interview with her. I also like the pictures you posted, they gave a nice touch and helped to spread the wording a little bit. I found it interesting that you said your culture still practices witchcraft and did not know that it was necessary for women to learn white magic. I also have to agree with Professor Rodriguez that your culture might come from a matriline descent. The women are considered to be more powerful, so maybe the last names of family members are after the women. Anyways really great blog, I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on your blog post! I think it is great how you added a little description about the location your mother was born, and some information about the cultural background of the location. I think that it is fascinating how your family descends from a Guatemalan Indian who choose to leave everything she new to start a new life with someone she loved. What a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Randy. Your family has such a rich and interesting history and culture. I didn't realize that witchcraft was practiced in Guatemala. And the story of how your family started after one of your female ancestors left her tribe to be with the man she loved is amazing. Few people can even trace their lineage back very far, let alone to something that cool.
    My family has the same attitude towards gender roles as yours. Both genders are expected to perform any task for the good of the family.

    ReplyDelete